The curriculum is designed to meet several educational objectives. These broad statements describe what we expect our graduates to achieve within a few years of graduation. Our program educational objectives are:
- Graduates will use their scientific, technical, and communication skills to contribute to the achievement of the goals and objectives of employers of biomedical engineers.
- Graduates will continue their professional development in biomedical engineering or medicine, including professional licensure, continuing education, and/or graduate study.
- Graduates will have advanced knowledge of modern theories, engineering systems, and mathematical and engineering tools enabling them to identify and address unmet clinical, diagnostic, and/or healthcare needs.
In addition, the curriculum provides opportunities for students to develop the following knowledge, skills, and behaviors by the time of graduation:
1. an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
2. an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
3. an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
4. an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
5. an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
6. an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
7. an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
The MBA component of the curriculum is designed so that students will:
- Develop knowledge and skills essential for effective management.
- Be able to analyze complex information in order to make informed, ethical decisions with the consideration of various stakeholders.
- Be effective team members, will develop essential communication skills, and will develop cultural competence for a global environment.