Skip to main content.

Chemical Engineering BS - Program Requirements

(HEGIS: 09.06 CHEMICAL ENG-PETROL REFN, CIP: 14.0701 Chemical Engineering)

Completing the Chemical Engineering BS Program

Academic Requirements

Students in the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences must have a minimum GPA of 2.000 in technical classes (engineering, math, and science classes) to be in good standing and graduate with an undergraduate degree. To maintain academic standards and determine eligibility for continued enrollment, the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences reviews the academic records of all students in an approved undergraduate SEAS major. This academic review is conducted at the end of each fall and spring semester.

View the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Academic Review Policy

Academic Advice

Advisement tools available for our students:

Transfer Credit Policy

Transfer students must first apply to the university and meet the university transfer admission requirements. SUNY Seamless Transfer is a SUNY-wide program intended to make transferring to UB and other SUNY Schools simple and efficient. Information about the Transfer Path for this major can be found on the SUNY website. Students are encouraged to contact their academic advisor or department to discuss how their coursework will apply to their degree.

Transfer students who have completed an engineering science program at a community college or the first three years of a 3+2 program at a four-year college can typically expect to enter the third year of an engineering program at the University at Buffalo. Graduates of technology programs receive limited transfer credit and can expect three to four years of study at the university to complete the requirements.

Residency Requirement

Students seeking an undergraduate engineering degree from the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences must complete 30 undergraduate credit hours of junior/senior level courses required in their major at the University at Buffalo.

Students must satisfy a departmental residency requirement that stipulates that a maximum of five courses from another school may be used as substitutes for required (16 total) and elective (2 total) CE courses. CBE places no limits (beyond those already imposed by the University and School of Engineering) on the number of BIO, CHE, MTH, PHY, EAS, general technical electives, and general education transfer credits that are applied to BS degree requirements.

Prerequisite Courses

Please see the School of Engineering and Applied Science admissions policies listed above.

Required Courses

CE 212 Fundamental Principles of Chemical Engineering
CE 220 Biotechnology Principles for Chemical Engineers*
CE 304 Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics
CE 305 Probability, Statistics, and Data Analysis
CE 317 Transport Processes 1
CE 318 Transport Processes 2
CE 327 Chemical Engineering Lab 1: Probability, Statistics, & Data Analysis
CE 328 Chemical Engineering Laboratory 2
CE 329 Chemical Reaction Engineering
CE 341 Applied Mathematics for Chemical Engineers
CE 404 Chemical Engineering Product Design
CE 407 Separations
CE 408 Chemical Engineering Plant Design
CE 427 Chemical Engineering Laboratory 3
CE 428 Chemical Engineering Laboratory 4
CE 433 Materials Science and Engineering
CE 434 Chemical Systems and Control
CHE 107/CHE 127 General Chemistry for Engineers + Lab I or CHE 101/CHE 113 General Chemistry + Lab I Or CHE 105 Honors General Chemistry I
CHE 108/CHE 128 General Chemistry for Engineers + Lab II or CHE 102/CHE 114 General Chemistry + Lab II or CHE 106 Honors General Chemistry II
CHE 203/CHE 205 Organic Chemistry or CHE 251 Honors Organic Chemistry
CHE 334 Physical Chemistry for Chemical Engineers
EAS 199 UB Seminar
EAS 202 Engineering Impact on Society
EAS 230 Engineering Computations**
EAS 360 STEM Communications
MTH 141 College Calculus 1
MTH 142 College Calculus 2
MTH 241 College Calculus 3
MTH 306 Introduction to Differential Equations
PHY 107 General Physics 1
PHY 108 General Physics 2/PHY 158 General Physics Lab 2***

* Students are permitted to take BIO 201 or BIO 305 in lieu of CE 220, however CE 220 is strongly preferred for Chemical Engineering majors. The BIO 201 or BIO 305 option should only be utilized by students transferring into the program with these courses already completed or when they are pursuing a pre-health major that requires BIO 201 or BIO 305.

**Students are permitted to take alternative programming courses EAS 240 or CSE 115 in lieu of EAS 230, however EAS 230 is strongly preferred for Chemical Engineering majors. The alternative programming courses should only be utilized by students transferring into the program with EAS 240, CSE 115, or EAS 999TRCP (general programming for transfer students) already completed. View our Computer Programming Requirement website for more information on the programming alternatives and self-study packages.
***Students are permitted to use PHY 151 and PHY 152 in lieu of PHY 158, however PHY 158 is preferred for engineering majors.

One 200/300/400-level technical elective. Specifically, any course at these levels having one of the following prefixes: EAS, CE, BE, CIE, CSE, EE, ENS, IE, MAE, BIO, CHE, GLY, MTH, MDI, PHY, BCH, BPH, MIC, PGY, PMY, and STA. Some courses with the above prefixes are disallowed because their content overlaps with that of required courses for the BS degree. These are: BE 202, BE 305, BE 308, BE 309, BE 310, CIE 308, CIE 354, EAS 305, EAS 496, EE 305, MAE 335, MAE 336, MAE 338, MAE 381, MAE 431, CE 496, CHE 251, CHE 319, CHE 320, CHE 349, MTH 337, MTH 411, MDI 332, STA 301, STA 421, STA 427, and any CE or other course already required for the degree. In some instances, graduate courses may be used as TEs; students should consult with an advisor if considering this option.

Two chemical engineering technical electives. These are 300- or 400-level courses with prefix CE that are not already required for the degree. Additionally, the following courses from Civil, Structural, and Environmental Engineering (CSEE) can be applied to fulfill the CE technical elective requirement: CIE 334, CIE 340, CIE 343, CIE 441, CIE 442, CIE 444. These courses relate to environmental engineering, which is a field of interest in chemical engineering. You must obtain permission from CSEE to enroll in any of these courses.

Students may participate in a given tutorial course (CE 496, CE 498, or CE 499) multiple times. However, one instance only (maximum of 3 credits) of a given tutorial course may be used to satisfy technical elective requirements for the CE degree (2 x CE TE and 200+ TE). Students can participate in two different tutorial courses, e.g. CE 496 and CE 498, and both would count toward the CE degree at 3 credits each. Courses graded Pass/Fail (P/F) cannot count toward the CE degree requirements.

Departmental Honors Requirements

CE Honors students must achieve a GPA of 3.200 or higher in all required chemical engineering courses. Requirements for honors also include 6 credits of independent study supervised by a member of the faculty and participation in the Department's Research Fair. During the first semester of independent study the student enrolls in either CE 496 or CE 498 (university research-based project). This experience may be used to satisfy one of the CBE technical elective requirements for the CE degree. During the second semester of independent study the student enrolls in CE 497, which culminates in the completion and defense of an undergraduate thesis. The three credits obtained via participation in CE 497 are in addition to the standard requirement for the B.S. CE degree, i.e., the course does not satisfy a CBE technical elective requirement. Departmental honors are noted on transcripts as highest honors (GPA of 3.750 to 4.000), high honors (3.500 to 3.740), or honors (3.200 to 3.490).

Total Credit Hours Required

Total credit hours required for the Chemical Engineering BS degree
Credits Required for Major111
Additional Credits Required for UB Curriculum  17
Additional Credits Required for Electives 0
Total Credits Required for Degree 128

Students should consult with an academic advisor to determine how any transfer or exam credit might be utilized in meeting general education, prerequisite, or major requirements.

See Baccalaureate Degree Requirements for general education and remaining university requirements.

Total Credit Hours Required represents the minimum credits needed to complete this program, and may vary based on a number of circumstances. This chart should not be used for financial aid purposes.

Published: Jan 25, 2023 07:58:41