Matriculated and Non-Degree Seeking (Non-Matriculated) Students

A matriculated student is one who has applied and has been officially accepted to the university through an undergraduate admission process and is considered to be pursuing a degree.

A non-degree seeking (non-matriculated) student is one who is enrolled on a semester-by-semester or course-by-course basis and has not been accepted as a regular student pursuing a degree.

The following rules apply to non-matriculated students at UB:

  1. A non-matriculated student must earn a high school diploma or general education development [GED] certificate prior to enrolling in any course.
  2. A non-matriculated student shall attain and maintain at least a 2.0 UB grade point average after attempting nine or more graded (A-F) undergraduate credit hours. At most three courses taken on a satisfactory-unsatisfactory basis (grades of ‘S’ or ‘U’) shall have grades of ‘U’.
  3. A non-matriculated student may enroll for a maximum number of credits as follows:
Semester/Time Period Maximum number of credits
Fall or Spring 9
Winter 5
6-week summer session 8
12-week summer session 14
Summer session (Total of both 6-week and 12-week sessions) 14
Total credits allowed as a non-matriculated student 30
  1. A non-matriculated student may register for fall or spring semester courses on a space available basis beginning August 1st for fall semesters and December 1st for spring semesters.
  2. A non-matriculated student may apply for admission to UB baccalaureate study. In that case, he or she shall have the UB courses taken in non-matriculated status included in the assessment for admission on the same basis as if he or she were a transfer applicant. If the student is admitted to baccalaureate study, all UB courses taken in non-matriculated status shall be included in the student’s program and considered UB courses for purposes of credits attempted and completed and grade point average.
  3. A student dismissed from undergraduate study at UB or another college or university may enroll as a non-matriculated student in a UB summer or winter session upon consultation with a UB academic advisor. The student's application and academic record will be reviewed by the Scholastic Standards Committee who will approve or deny the request. Students who enroll in a UB summer or winter session but are dismissed the previous spring or fall semester, shall be permitted to pursue the enrolled courses for summer or winter.
  4. Additional criteria may be required for international students. International students should contact the International Admissions Office.

Last updated: