Undergraduate Degree & Course Catalog

Foreign Language Placement

Correct placement in foreign language courses is an important consideration for UB students and for teachers of foreign languages. See an appropriate advisor for ascertaining correct placement level before registering for a language course. Students who are judged to be misplaced by the instructor will be moved to an appropriate-level language course during the first week of classes. This will ensure not only that students are obtaining the optimal language training for their level of proficiency, but also that there is consistency in proficiency level across students in each class.

The following placement guidelines should be followed:

  • Students who have studied a foreign language for less than one year and who have not completed a Regents Examination in that language, or students who are embarking on the study of a new language, should enroll in the first-year sequence (e.g. Japanese 101-102, Russian 101-102). This two-semester sequence will satisfy the Foreign Language Track within the Global Integrative Pathway
  • Students who are transferring college coursework to UB equivalent to a UB first-year first-semester course (e.g. 101) may enroll in the first-year second-semester course for that language at UB (e.g. 102). The transferred coursework and the 102 course taken at UB can be counted toward the Foreign Language Track and will fulfill that Track if the courses add up to nine credits or more.
  • Spanish 104, French 104, German 104, and Chinese 105 are accelerated reviews of the basics of these languages for students who have studied these languages for more than one year and/or passed a Regents Examination (or equivalent) in this language. These courses are also often appropriate for transfer students with a single semester of introductory language study at another college, especially where the course taken elsewhere does not articulate with a 101 course at UB. These Transitional courses will be considered the starting point for the Foreign Language Track.
  • Russian 104, Chinese 104 and Spanish 171 are courses for Heritage speakers, i.e. speakers who have good spoken proficiency in one of these languages but have had little or no formal training, including literacy training, in this language. These courses will be considered the starting point for the Foreign Language Track.
  • Students who have completed at least 3 years of language study and have passed a Regents Examination in that language (or equivalent), and who are capable of doing more advanced work than provided in the Transitional courses (e.g. 104 or 105) will be placed in the first-semester second-year course (or higher) for that language (e.g. Spanish 151, Chinese 201). This course (or any higher-level course) will be considered the starting point for the Foreign Language Track. Students should consider this training as an important step toward further language study, future study abroad, and internationalization of their studies.

NOTE: Students who have completed coursework in a foreign language either at UB or at another college or university will not be allowed to register in a course which assumes a proficiency level lower than that already completed. Students may not receive credit for either first-year first-semester courses (e.g. 101) or first-year second-semester courses (e.g. 102) if they receive credit for a 104 or 105 course in the same language. Students repeating a course in which a failing grade was received must do so prior to registering in a higher-level course. Students fluent in a language other than English or whose primary/secondary education was conducted in a language other than English may not take first-year or second-year courses in that language. Contact the individual language coordinators for placement advisement.

Last updated: January 2017 by the College of Arts and Sciences Foreign Language Instruction Coordinating Council (FLICC).

Published: November 14, 2017 09:59:27 AM