- The Learning Environment
The Learning Environment
The Department of Theatre & Dance offers a comprehensive catalog of courses including seminar-based instruction, studio training, and hands on mentoring through experiential learning opportunities. All modes seek to integrate theoretical and practical instruction. Seminar and lecture courses, ranging from 20 to 100 seats, engage students in discussion on historical trends, contemporary practice, philosophical and aesthetic principles, criticism and analysis, and technical skills. Studio courses apply theory to technique in small, practice-based classes ranging from 16 to 28. Coursework often includes attendance at live performances as well participation in live production, and contributes to the development of professional portfolios, performance reels, and academic resumes. Practicums, tutorials, and independent studies supplement classwork with focused, in depth exploration of the discipline through close mentorship with faculty and guest artists.
About Our Facilities
UB's Department of Theatre & Dance boasts an array of resources for both instruction and practical preparation for productions, including performance and classroom space in the Center for the Arts on UB's North Campus. Within the CFA students directly benefit from the use of:
- The Drama Theatre: a 388-seat theatre
- The Black Box Theatre: a flexible space with seating of 100-120
- Rehearsal Workshop: a mirror image of the Black Box Theater equipped for acting and dance classes, as well as rehearsals
- Dance Studios: 4 spacious studios with full-length mirrors, Marley floors, and specially designed sound systems
- Scene Shop
- Costume Shop
- Craft Studio
- Katharine Cornell Theatre: a unique performance space that functions as a rehearsal room, acting classroom, and performance venue
- Alumni Arena: includes the Design Suite with drafting studio, lighting lab and 10-seat computer lab; an acting classroom and rehearsal space; dance studio; a seminar room; and departmental offices
About Our Faculty
In Theatre & Dance you will study with active practitioners and internationally recognized scholars who are dedicated to the development of the next generation of theatre and dance artists, teachers, and supporters. UB's Theatre & Dance Faculty are members of professional networks including Actor's Equity Association, American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, American Society for Theatre Research, Dance Masters of America, International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, National Dance Education Organization, Stage Actors Guild, and United Scenic Artists. They have extensive professional experience in directing, designing, dramaturgy, and performance on and off Broadway, on regional stages, in major dance festivals, in documentaries, and in film and television work. Twenty-five full time faculty members along with adjuncts from the professional community, production staff, and Teaching Assistants from our graduate programs in support our undergraduate programs.
Faculty List Directory
Please visit the Theatre department website for additional information about our faculty.