Skip to main content.

Changes of Grade

A grade other than “I” or "blank" may be changed only to correct an error in the calculation or entry of the grade or as a result of re-evaluation of an end-of-session assignment or exam. Grade changes are made at the discretion of the instructor.

Instructors can change a grade by utilizing an electronic grade change request approved by the instructor, the department chair, and the appropriate Dean. Reasons for the change of grade must be fully explained and justified.

Grade changes for courses taught by faculty who are no longer associated with UB and are no longer available may be submitted by officers of the units offering the courses in accordance with this policy, and must be fully explained and justified.

Grade changes must be made within one semester after a course concludes.

For “I” and “blank” grades which have been changed to a final grade, any change to the final grade must be made by the following May 31* if the final grade was entered in the fall term, and by the following December 31 if the final grade was entered in the spring or summer term. Once a grade of “I” has defaulted to its accompanying permanent grade, however, the permanent grade may not be changed.

Grades shall not be changed more than one term subsequent to degree conferral, i.e., not later than the following December 31 for spring or summer conferral, and not later than the following May 31 for fall conferral.

*In recognition of challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the deadline for completing incomplete grades that were assigned during the spring 2019 and summer 2019 semesters was extended to December 31, 2020.

Published: Oct 06, 2022 08:27:04