The responsibilities of an Honors College Scholar who enters as a freshman include successfully completing 21 honors credits, including one Honors seminar in the fall semester of the freshman year, and Honors Colloquium in the spring semester. Students need to maintain a minimum semester and overall UB undergraduate Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.300 during the first year and at least a 3.500 GPA in each successive year, as well as graduate with an overall UB undergraduate GPA of 3.500.
Beyond Colloquium (two honors credits) and the Honors seminar (three-four credits), students must select and complete additional credit hours of honors experiences from the following list before graduation (to reach the required total of 21 honors credits):
- Undergraduate research
- Independent study
- Internship or practicum
- Study abroad
- Undergraduate supervised teaching
- Graduate coursework
- Departmental Honors coursework
- Departmental Honors thesis or project
- Senior Capstone coursework
- Contract Honors coursework
- Honors Experience Petition
- Additional Honors Seminar
- Five honors credits must be completed by the end of the freshman year (honors credits earned through the Honors Colloquium and the Honors Seminar) and 13 credits total must be completed by the end of the junior year to maintain good standing in the Honors College.
Advanced Honors Program
Each semester, highly qualified current university students are invited to apply for admission to the Advanced Honors Program. Students are eligible to apply once they have completed 45 credit hours and have a minimum overall GPA of 3.500 (including all transfer credit). The program provides an individualized honors opportunity for academically talented students, including those who may not have been eligible for the Honors College upon admission to the university.
The responsibilities of an Advanced Honors Scholar include successfully completing 16 credits of honors coursework, including the Advanced Honors Colloquium in their first semester of the program. Students are required to maintain a minimum semester and overall Grade Point Average (GPA) 3.500 GPA in each successive year and graduate with an overall GPA of 3.500.
Beyond Advanced Honors Colloquium (one credit), students select and complete 15 credit hours of Honors Experiences from the following list before graduation (to reach the required total of 16 honors credits):
- Contract Honors coursework (at the 200 level or higher)
- Departmental Honors coursework (at any level)
- Graduate Coursework
- Honors Seminar (enrollment limit to available seats)
- Independent Study
- Internship or Practicum
- Honors Experience Petition
- Service Learning
- Study Abroad
- Undergraduate Research
- Undergraduate Supervised Teaching
- Departmental Honors Thesis or Project
Eight credits must be completed by the end of the junior year to maintain good standing in the Honors College in addition to maintaining a 3.500 UB undergraduate GPA.
March 1 and October 1
Honors College Scholarships
Published: Sep 17, 2021 14:39:39